The Bel Canto Reference 1000 mono amps have received superb reviews. They are 500 watt monos that produce 1000 watts into 4 ohms. Our Level 1 & 2 modifications take these excellent amps and turn them into world-class performers, able to compete with anything made under $10k. Our modifications were designed by Chris Johnson, the founder and former president of Sonic Frontiers.
The following details our Level-1 modifications for the pair of REF 1000s [$990/pr plus shipping retrofit to your amplifiers.
- 8 x Japanese Riken ½ & 1 watt signal path carbon resistors w/gold-plated leads.
- 6 feet of DH Labs 18-gauge Revelation Series pure 99.999% silver solid core input signal wire with Teflon tape-wrap dielectric is use
- 4 premium WBT-0763 single output binding posts replace the posts of the stock machine.
- 4 upgraded deluxe ultra-premium electrolytic capacitors are added
- One sheet of SoundCoat chassis damping material is cut & applied where applicable
- One sheet of ERS EMI/RFI suppression paper applied in critical locations
- 10' feet of TRT WonderSolder is used throughout
- 4 hours labor
The following details our Level-2 modifications for the pair of REF 1000s ($1,390/pr plus shipping retrofit to your amplifiers)
All of the Level-1 modifications plus:
- 1 pair of WBT NextGen 0210-cu copper RCA jacks
- WBT Next Gen Copper 0710-Cu binding posts
- 4 x 3 feet of DH LAabs 23-gague Revelation Series pure 99.999% silver solid core umbilical signal wire with Teflon tape-wrap dielectric
- Two additional hours of labor for a total of 6 hours.
- Upgrade the RCA jacks and binding posts to silver WBT's w/silver wire - add $225 (0210ag & 07120ag)
We offer a 2-year parts and labor warranty on new amps. This is the same as the Bel Canto factory warranty. Aftermarket modifications come with a 1-year warranty on all mod work done.
Sonic improvements of the Level-1 mod
The modified amps are warmer in the midrange. They are more natural sounding, with a little more tube-like depth as well as better dynamics. They sound faster with better bass definition and low frequency extension. Treble response is more extended.
Micro level detail is increased across the frequency band from bass to treble. Transparency, the ability to see into the soundstage, is also increased. The amps now also have a wider and deeper 3D soundstage.
The modified design takes a very good amp and makes it world class.