Pro-Ject turntables: High-value turntables starting at under $300. The Debut Carbon is a best Buy everywhere at $449.00 while the 1Xpression Carbon Classic is a best buy with excellet carbon fiber tonearm and Ortofon 2M Silver cartridge in 4 beautiful finishes. The top of the line RM-10.1 received a killer review in Stereophile. It is the $3500 table to beat. Other models available are:
- Essential III - New entry table with nice tone arm, MDF platter and Ortofon OM10 cartridge - $299
- Debut Carbon DC, turntable with carbon fiber arm, MDF base and metal platter w/2M Red Ortofon cartridge. Available in black, red, green, blue, yellow, silver or white - Now only $399
- RPM 1 Carbon In Gloss Black, white or red w/Sumiko Pearl cartridge $499.00 Opt Dust Cover $99
- 1Xpression Carbon in dark gray lacquer with Sumiko Pearl cartridge $799
- 1Xpression Carbon Classic in piano black, mahogany or olive wood w/Ortofon 2m Silver cartridge $999
- RPM 3 Carbon- Round table w/Carbon fiber arm in gloss black, red or white w/$450 Sumiko Blue Point #2 $999.
- 2Xperience SB - Superb value table w/Project 9CC carbon fiber tonearm & $450 Sumiko Blue Point #2 cart. $1599/$1999 w/Blackbird cartridge
- The Classic-Great reviews on this hi value table in multiple finishes $1099.00
- The Classic SB upgraded Classic with $450.00 Sumiko Blue Point cartridge, electronic speed control, the Leather It mat and top-grade Clamp It, which enhance stability and reduce noise. $1499.00- Great Value
6Perspex DC, Turntable w/ clear acrylic plinth, sub-chassis system made of Corian® suspended by three height adjustable opposing magnet fields. Also a bonded MDF platter with vinyl mat, a threaded record clamp, adjustable cone feet. A new 9" tonearm, the 9cc Evolution, incorporates a conical carbon fiber arm - $1,799/ $1999 with $500 Blue Point Special EVO III cartridge & $99 Connect-iT tonearm cable.
RPM9 Carbon $2499, $2999.00 with $1250.00 Sumiko Blackbird cartridge TAS Recommended in 2018 Buyers Guide
TAS 2018 Editors’ Choice Awards: Turntables $2,000 - $5,000
Xtension 10 in Mahogany lacquer TAS Recommended in 2018 Buyers Guide
TAS 2018 Editors’ Choice Awards: Turntables
$2,000 - $5,000
- XTension 9- Affordable state of the art table in 5 lacquer colors. $2499/$2750 w/$450 Bluepoint #2 cart.
- XTension 10- (Above) New affordable super table with superb $1300 Project 10cc Evolution 10" carbon fiber arm, 12 pound platter, mass loaded floating sub chassis, balanced sandwich platter and electronic speed control. $3499/ $3999 with $1250 Sumiko Blackbird cartridge. Available in piano black, mahogany or olive.
- Xtension 12- Superb table with $1300.00 12" Project 12cc carbon fiber tonearm. Larger version of the above Xtension 10 $4499/ $4999 with $2500 Sumiko Celebration II cartridge
- RM-9 Carbon - reference table with conical carbon fiber arm - $2499/ $2999 with $1250 Sumiko Blackbird & Connect-iT tonearm cable, Optional dust cover $129
Our favorite under $1500.00 DAC
The advanced DAC Box RS is a reference-class D/A converter for all kinds of digital stereo sound sources. It superbly acts as a superior USB audio interface for demanding computer audio, also features AES/EBU input and I²S interface for use with CD Box RS. For the engaged audiophile we provide full DSD capability (up to DSD128) over PCM. All inputs fully support 24/192kHz HD music data (optical inputs 96/24) in fully asynchronous mode.
Additionally DAC Box RS incorporates a pair of the best audio grade DAC chips, PCM 1792, which only can be found in expensive high-end designs. 2 different digital filter settings are selectable to meet your favourite sound preferences. Additionally we realized that its also depending on customers taste and type of music/recording, what technology for the outputstage is preferable. More warm and relaxed sounding with Tubes or Solid State Class A with limitless details and dynamics. The DAC Box RS has both options to select!
The whole audio circuitry design is ultra low noise and ultra linear with very low output impedance to avoid any negative interference with cables or pre-amps. The optional outboard Power Box RS power supply at only $499.00 makes it even better.
• Double top grade PCM-1792 D/A chip from Texas Instruments
• 9 Inputs: USB, AES-EBU, optical (Toslink), coax (S/PDIF)
• 24bit/192kHz asynchronous USB (XMOS technology)
• DSD (up to DSD128) capability (DSD over PCM)
• I²S interface for CD Box RS (sonic2data transfer technology) with additional clock synchronisation port (BNC)
• 2 selectable digital filter settings
• Fully balanced analogue audio circuitry
• Tube output stage & solid-state output stage (switchable)
• Ultra linear & ultra low noise circuitry
• IR remote control included
• XLR & RCA line level output sockets
Remote fully balanced tube preamplifier
The Pre Box RS is a reference-grade 2-channel preamplifier featuring a fully balanced dual-mono design with a vacuum tube based output stage. The circuit design is both ultra quiet and highly linear using no global negative feedback. Operating in pure Class A the Pre Box RS is capable of producing stunning musical realism from any line level source. There are numerous source connectivity options using either two pairs of balanced XLR's or the three pairs of single-ended RCA jacks. High-quality component parts are used throughout including low ESR capacitors, rugged relays, reliable dip-switches and a motor driven Alps potentiometer to control output level. All circuitry is encased in a heavy and rigid aluminum chassis that is mechanically constructed using anti-microphonic techniques. A robust highly regulated and filtered outboard power supply delivers ample voltage for impressive dynamic capabilities and an upgraded power supply is also an option. An IR remote control is supplied.
Pre Box S2 Digital - a performance revolution in a small package!
The Pre Box S2 offers amazing value. It can be used as a digital preamp or stand alone DAC with MQA decoding as well as DSD and PCM to 24.192k for all your Hi rez software. Value is off the scale and performance is superb for the money. Hook up an amp and digital source, like a computer, to a pair of speakers and make a killer affordable system
Pre Box S2 Digital marks a new era for Pro-Jects S-series components, for the very first time They are using a dual mono configuration with the highest class D/A converters of ESS Sabre, their flagship DAC chip, that ensures highest class audio in a small and affordable pack-age. This DAC is capable of high resolution audio up to 32bit 768kHz PCM and DSD512!
Pre Box S2 Digital is also the very first of our devices to support hardware MQA unfolding. It’s also the premiere of our proprietary Optimum transient digital filter and our pro-prietary clock circuitry design. Digital audio is the art of time, with the new proprietary clock design we have managed jitter rates of unrivalled 100 Femtoseconds, this easily outperforms many renowned and respected audiophile clock generators! With organic polymer capacitors and thin film mini MELF resistors Pro-Ject was able to create a tiny device that will blow away even much bigger components for a much higher price. With a total of seven digital filters the sound can be shaped precisely to the listeners lik-ing. Pre Box S2 Digital is fully remoteable, it can also control the playback software of a computer. You can use Play, Pause, Forward and Rewind straight with your Pre Box S2 Digital!
Headfonics summed with:
"At $399 the Pre Box S2 Digital is one of those all-in-one solutions that defines what a typical 2018 digital audiophile might be looking for. Roon Tested, full MQA unfolding, a low noise floor, easily transportable and a very likable tonal presentation with a very modern DAC chip solution inside. This is one well designed, feature-heavy little box and it will sit very nicely indeed right beside your PC either at home or in the office."
Hifi News gave it an "Outstanding Product" award and said:
• High end ESS Sabre ESS9038 dual DAC
• Proprietary clock circuity design
• Organic polymer capacitors and thin film miniMELF resistors
• MQA hardware decoding
• DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 & DSD512 (DSD over PCM)
• Up to 24bit/192kHz for optical & coax inputs
• 7 selectable digital filter characteristics
• 1 proprietary optimum transient digital filter
• Headphone output on the front (6.3mm)
• Synchronization of all internal oscillators
• Jitter as low as 100 Femtoseconds!
• Gold plated four layer PCB
• Outboard Power supply 5V/1A DC (included)
• Full alu/metal sandwich casing in silver or black
- RM-10 carbon - flagship table with Ground-It bass, 10" carbon-fiber tone arm, superb - $3,499/$3999 with $1250 Sumiko Blackbird and Connect-It tonearm cable
- Tube Box DS - Tube phono stage for MM and MC (60dB) cartridges $699
- Tube Box S, tube MC/MM phono stage with excellent sonics - $449
- Phono Box SE -Solid State phono stage for most MM and MC (55dB) cartridges $299
- Phono Box RS-Exceptional phono stage with front panel controls. Balanced & RCA outs Pro-Ject's best $999