The new Shanling PCD-3000A is a very nice compact CD player with headphone amplifier. It also has a nice headphone amp. We love the compact size as well as the fact that it offers remote volume control to run directly into an amp. Sonics are good for its $500 retail price. Our new Level-1 modification makes it a great sounding unit for the money.
All functions of the player are controlled by the multiple control lever on the right side of the unit. It also comes with a nice remote control. The player uses a Philips CD711 servo system transport It uses the Burr-Brown PCM1738 DAC chip for good sound quality. Volume control is by an ALPS Type 27 potentiometer. These are accurate to within 0.5dB.
The following details our Level-1 modification [retrofit $600 + frt; pre-installed $950 + frt]:
- One pair of premium machined Vampire direct gold plated over copper body Teflon insulated RCA female jacks replace the cheap stamped jack modules on the output.
- 4 x Black-Gate FK-series power supply and C-series output coupling electrolytic capacitors are added.
- 10 x 1% Polystyrene film and foil capacitors are added in the analog filter stage
- 2 x Riken OHM ½ and one watt signal path 1% carbon comp resistors with gold-plated leads replace cheap resistors of the stock model.
- 4 x Cree SiC Schottky rectifying diodes are added.
- 4 x Vishay-Telefunken SF4007 ultra-fast soft recovery diodes are added in the power supply
- We install four small EAR brand Sorbothane isolation feet with new mounting hardware to reduce airborne feedback.
- 1 sheet of SoundCoat chassis damping material is cut and applied where applicable to control chassis resonances
- 4 pcs DH Labs 99.999% pure solid-core long-grained silver output signal wires, with foamed Teflon tape wrap dielectric are used to hook up the new RCA output jacks
- WBT high silver content (4%) solder used throughou
- 5 hours total labor.
1) Replacement of one dual and four single op amps with Burr-Brown op amp modules (the world's best) dual and single versions. Add $250.00 with L-1 mod.
Sonic benefits of Level-1 mod:
- The unit is quieter, blacks are blacker, thus resolving more low level detail and allowing better ambiance retrieval.
- It is smoother and less solid state sounding, while also being more detailed and dynamic.
- The Midrange is more natural with less electronic glare. The midrange performance is what you typically spend much more to get in solid state machines.
- Imaging is more defined while front to back depth is improved.
- Bass is improved with fuller weight and authority.
- Log in to post comments