Denon DVD-5900 Level-1 mod - 2/3/5-channel upgrades + shipping for customer owned units are $1,200/1,700/2,500 retro-fit to your machine. Add $480 for an upgraded Superclock with dedicated custom power supply upgrade when purchased together with the Level-1 mod package
We are proud to offer a state-of-the-art, multi-channel all-format player for serious audiophiles. The Denon DVD-5900 starts life as an universal CD Redbook/SACD/ DVD-Audio machine that is an exceptional progressive scan video player and uses some of the best available Burr Brown 1790 series digital parts for audio, specifically the DSD-1790 DAC which is similar in specs to the PCM/DSD-1792. For ultra-sonic purity in SACD/DSD mode, the signal is not converted to PCM before decoding it to analog.
For stateo-of-the-art video, this player uses the new Faroudja upscaling engine and will take the DVD's 480P signal and output 720P or 1080i through the DVI (Digital Video interface) output. The analog audio stage is, however, similar to the half-priced DVD-2900. Compared to the video section, the audio performance is a disappointmen, resulting in a great video player that lacks in audio quality compared to the very best machines. Our new Level-1 mod transforms this player on either 2 (L/R) or 3 channels (L/C/R) to a level that any audiophile would be proud to use as the centerpiece of a SOTA system. Chris Johnson, the founder and former president of Sonic Frontiers, designed the mod. The finished product easily outperforms any other multi player as an audio player at anywhere close to its price.
Sonic benefits of our Level-1 mod:
- Bass slam and extension are dramatically improved, with fuller weight and authority in the critical mid-bass region. It now competes with much more expensive players in this important area.
- The unit is quieter, the blacks are blacker to resolving more low level detail and ambience retrieval.
- It is smoother, with a more liquid midrange. The solid state glare has been replaced by a more neutral presentation.
- The unit is more dynamic, with both macro and micro dynamic contrasts improved. There is much more air in the presentation.Transparency is improved and one can now look farther into the soundstage.
Our Level-1 2-channel mod installs:
- We upgrade the critical I-V and output buffer op amps, replacing the 50 cents/ea. stock parts with the best dual op amps Analog Devices chips which are 50 times more expensive than the stock parts, to dramatically enhance both the unit's technical and subjective audio performance.The 5900 Level-1 Mod uses 4 Analog Devices AD8620.
- The output RCA jacks are changed from the cheap stamped metal and plastic types to precious machined Vampire terminals, using an OFC copper base (3.5 times more conductive than brass) with direct gold plating to avoid any intermediate nickel.
- The output signal exits not via a minuscule tin/lead plated PCB trace, but via 4 discrete flying leads of pure 99.99% 23-gauge solid-core silver DH Labs Teflon-insulated wire.
- 22 critical signal resistors are changed to precision Japanese-made Riken Ohm Carbon-comp types with gold-plated copper leads to replace the cheap, magnetic Taiwanese stock resistors.
- All critical caps are changed to the best film and electrolytic types: 2 Rel-Cap Teflon bypasses for 4 Black Gate FK series coupling caps and 22 polystyrene units in the analog filter.
- The chassis resonances have been dampened with 1 sq.ft of SoundCoat and external vibrations are isolated by 4 large compliant EAR Sorbothane feet.
- The power supply is upgraded with 15 Black Gate FK, NX and STD series electrolytic caps and all critical analog supply diodes (currently generic quality) are replaced with 4 ultra-fast soft-recovery Fred-type Telefunken diodes and 8 IR Hexfreds.
- We use WBT 4% silver solder throughout.
- The mod takes 8 hours of intensive labor to complete and carries a 90-day warranty.