We are now selling the Spread Spectrum Technologies line. The new fully balanced Ampzilla 2000 Second Edition power amps ($8,495 a pair) and Ambrosia preamp ($8,495 with phono stage and $6995.00 without phono) are exceptional and truly world-class performers. They are the finest solid state products that we sell and quite competitive with products selling for triple their cost or more. Compare these to the best solid-state products made at any price. They are that good. They are now available in black with chrome insert as well as original blue with gold insert. SST products have the 5-year US factory warranty. There was an awesome review in the January 2012 Absolute Sound on the Ampzillas and Ambrosia. The Ampzilla 2000 MK2 and Ambrosia were named 'Product of the Year'.. They said they offered the same performance as super amps selling for $100.000.
"The Ambrosia and Ampzilla are by any standard statement products that can take their place among the finest amps and preamps money can buy. At $15,000 the combo is far from inexpensive though that figure does include two excellent phono preamps and a headphone amplifier. Reflect too,that there are competing electronics exceeding $100,000 that give you far less of everything. To those who find it impossible to believe components priced as reasonably as these can possibly be as good as those costing a whole lot more, I only say "they are. Please audition with your mind as open as your ears."If I were closing up shop tomorrow as a reviewer I would buy them and live happily ever after."
Call me to discuss pricing on these superb amplifiers and preamplifiers.
Spread Spectrum showed prototypes of the new Thoebe preamplifier and Son of Ampzilla MK2 at the Newport Hifi show. The Son will be 200 watts per channel at $3500.00. The remote controlled Thoebe with tone controls and balance control is yet to be priced but will offer a DAC and phono stage as options. The photo below is from the show and is poor. Better pictures to come once the units are finalized and shipping in the fall. These products are going to be big sellers at their moderate prices and offer performance close to the Ampzilla and Ambrosia for less than 1/2 their cost.
Thoebe & Son of Ampzilla MK2
200wpc Son of Ampzilla MK2
Ampzilla 2000 Second Edition
|Also available in black with silver logo|
Ampzilla 2000 MK2 ($8495/pr): These Second Edition MK2 amps use a new upgraded driver circuit that reduces distortion even below that of the original 2000. It also adds a second set of binding posts for biamplification. Rated power is 300 watts but they typically produce 340 watts into 8 ohms. They will drive any load and do 540 watts at 4 ohms and are stable below 1 ohm. The 12ga power cord is welded on for the best connection. No need to use an expensive aftermarket cord. All the transformers are custom built and designed by James Bongiorno. He is a trained transformer designer and his designs are superb. Real world noise levels are super low.
The Ampzilla 2000 2nd Edition uses a completely new variation of the Forward Gain topology to achieve unprecedented improvements in linearity. The new circuit is so smooth that it can be actually listened to open loop without feedback. The proper use of feedback is necessary simply to tie down all of the operating points so there will be no variations in performance from unit to unit. The Ampzilla 2000 uses 12 250-watt output devices per mono. This is 3 times more than the original Ampzilla. Since it is a monobloc, there is a 2000VA transformer for each. The amount of heat sink radiating area is 3 times greater than the original meaning no fan. The B+ and B- supply fuses now are external. The entire circuit is fully balanced from input to output although there is a unique new unbalanced to balanced converter for single ended inputs. Each monobloc has 100,000uf of power supply filtering with dual rectification as pioneered in the original Sumo's.
- 16 Ohms - minimum 150 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
- 8 Ohms - minimum 300 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
- 4 Ohms - minimum 500 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
- Total T.H.D. & I.M. Distortion: 4-16 Ohms less than .05% @ any power level up to rated at any frequency or combination of frequencies between 20Hz-20kHz.
- Input Impedance and Sensitivity: 1 volt RMS across 50kohms for 300 watts into 8 ohms on the unbalanced input; +/- 1 volt RMS across +/- 70kohms for 300 watts into 8 ohms on the balanced input.
- Input selector switch for balanced or unbalanced
- Frequency response and power bandwidth at rated power
- 8 ohms - better than +/- .2 dB 20Hz to 20kHz
- 4 ohms - better than +/- .3 dB 20Hz to 20kHz
- Stability: 100% stable @ any load angle 0-90 degrees, capacitive or inductive, regardless of wave shape
- Damping factor: Greater than 250 at 20Hz
- Noise: Better than -120dB relative to full rated power
- Protection power switch/circuit breaker 4 DC power supply fuses with indicators
- Gold-plated input and dual output jacks
- All steel 14 ga. chassis, powder coat finish. Peak clipping indicator LED, thermal LED
- The entire amplifier circuit (except the power output stages) is contained on one main drive card which also contains the input jacks. This means that the amplifier is completely upgradeable with future circuit improvements.
- Load capability: Will drive any load conceived by man
- All transformers are Spread Spectrum design and made in house.
- All input and output jacks are gold plated and of the highest quality.
- The line cord is 12 Ga. with welded connectors instead of crimped.
- All internal connectors are gold plated.
Ambrosia preamplifier$8495. with phono/ $7000.00 without phono
Also available in black with silver logo
Call to discuss our current pricing
The Ambrosia preamp ($8495 with phono and $6995 without phono) just received an awesome review in the January 2012 Absolute Sound. The Ambrosia stereo preamp is a superb full featured solid state preamplifier. This 50lbs fully balanced preamp has giant power supplies, one of the best remote controls made and a world-class MM/MC phono stage. It also has excellent tone controls and a balance control.
The user interface is all electronic. There are no physical switches or controls of any kind in the signal path. All functions are 100% microprocessor controlled. All functions can be controlled from both the front panel as well as the remote control. Here are some Dick Olsher quotes from his review in March 2008: "The Ambrosia is a sensation at any price point. Here is a full function preamplifier complete with MM and MC phono capability that for me bridges the sonic gap between solid-state and tube designs. If you already own a tube or hybrid amp, the Ambrosia should prove most complementary... Vinyl playback through the internal moving magnet (MM) stage provided superlative sound quality... The Ambrosia's tone controls gave me the opportunity to tweak the speaker's tonal balance to my liking... The music's harmonic tapestry was remarkably silky and yet exquisitely detailed. The soundstage was solidly fleshed out with an excellent depth perspective and extremely stable image placement. Most telling was the manner in which vinyl surface noise, clicks and pops, were dispensed with... Its low distortion signature and superlative transient response were responsible for a fluid delivery and enhanced clarity." Read the entire review here.
The Ambrosia outweighs many power amplifiers at 50lbs net. Most the weight is due to a huge low EMI power transformer mounted in its own can. It features four secondary windings that are used to power each circuit section independently and in the process eliminate ground loops. In addition 15 independent power supply regulators are employed throughout for immunity against AC mains fluctuations. This is one serious piece of work.
- 4 completely separate sets of transformer windings which power the four main sections of the preamp. These four sections are moving coil, moving magnet, line, and display and control. Each section in addition has its own multiple regulators (16 regulators in all).
- 3 main inputs (CD, FM, AUX) plus one combo XLR jack that can be either balanced or unbalanced. Separate tone controls for each channel, both bass and treble, with 4 different inflection points each selectable via main menu.
- World’s most exotic power transformer triple shielded with Fe bands plus inter layer grounded shields plus complete mu metal wrap, plus complete seamless Fe can.
- Balanced input circuit has an anti common-mode driver to prevent common mode distortion.
- Discrete power buffers will drive any headphones known to man. 2 pairs on the front panel. Main outputs are 2 pairs each single ended and balanced.
- Complete tape copy and monitor functions for 2 decks.
- Completely separate and dedicated inputs and outputs for both MC and MM cartridges (as well as through tape functions). Both phono sections are completely separate each with their own power supply regulators. Each phono section has its own selectable 20Hz low cut filter.
- All grounding has been engineered to completely eliminate any possibilities of grounding interference or ground loops.
- Phono inputs: MC gain 64dB, 58dB, 52dB selectable, MM 42dB
- Line: 20dB to plus output, Balanced: 20dB
- Maximum output: 10Volts RMS unbalanced
- Output impedance: 50 Ohms, all outputs
- Headphone output: 1 Ohm
- Noise (all referred to input) (20-20kHz): MC 70nV, 32nV (400-20kHz), MM .4u, line: 2uV
- Tone controls: +/- 12dB nominal
- Turnover points: Bass: 200, 300, 400, 500 Hz, Treble: 2kHz, 3kHz, 4kHz, 5kHz nominal
- THD: .01% max inputs to main outputs @ 2V RMS rated output, 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Frequency Response: Phono, RIAA Equalized, 20Hz to 20kHz, +/- .5dB max deviation: Line, 20Hz to 20kHz, +/- .25dB max deviation.